Sunday, June 23, 2013

Souperb!

Soup with a kick


Hello readers! It's been a while and I apologize for that, life sometimes gets in the way and you forget some of the smaller things but...I am back!

Recently I have started seeing a nutritionist to make sure I'm getting all the nutrients needed living a Vegan lifestyle. Just because you are Vegan, Vegetarian, counting calories, low carb, or doing a Paleo diet doesn't necessarily mean you are doing it correctly and getting everything your body needs to thrive. Its really tough making sure you are filling your body with the right amounts of veggies, starches, proteins, fruits, and fats. I have someone telling me what to do and it's still tough! When your day is long, family is in town, you go on vacation...it can make things even harder. Just do the best you can in the situation that's in front of you and become a planner! I've noticed the days or weeks I don't plan my meals out are the days or week I don't do so well. So keep up the good work, try to get rid of the processed foods in your life, drink plenty of water, and just with that your already ahead of the game!

This week I bring you an easy, protein packed, delicious and nutritious SOUP! I know its summer time and hot but Soup is an easy go to, and its even good COLD!  Remember you can substitute any of these ingredients to fit your needs or taste buds so...lets begin!

What you will need:


Corn-fresh/frozen or canned. I still had a can so that's what I used (try going fresh when possible!)
Peas-fresh/frozen or canned (try going fresh when possible!)
One Jar of Marinara sauce (we chose a spicy red pepper flavor)
Water
Extra firm tofu (one block)  Tempeh would be great instead of tofu.
Onion (one small, I had only a large so I just cut a chunk off)
Garlic ~3 cloves
Tomato 1-2 large or, 4-5small.
Olive Oil ~2tablespoons  (forgot it in the photo)
Seasonings (we used chili powder and smoked paprika)

Skilet 
Large pot or a CrockPot
Knife
Cutting board
Spatula
Ladle (large spoon)

 

 

 

What to do:

 

 

Dice up your tomatoes, onion, garlic, and tofu
 


 

                                          Heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in your pan.
 



Sauté the onion, garlic, and tofu. Add in any seasoning you like, I added chili powder and smoked paprika. Once the onions are soft add whats in the pan to your crock pot.
 



Sauté the tomatoes and peas until everything is hot, then add to your Crockpot. 
 



Add in the marinara sauce then fill the marinara jar up with water and add to the pot
Turn your pot onto its lowest setting, mine is 4hours. Technically once its all hot then it's ready to eat. If you can wait then let it cook the full 4hours, this allows all the flavors to mend together and makes an amazing broth.





Serve and enjoy! Have it with a small handful or tortilla chips or a slice of whole wheat toast.



ENJOY and Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment