Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Creamy Side of Life

Avocado Pasta Sauce



This yummy Avocado Pasta sauce makes roughly four servings.  After making this for the first time I saw a lot of potential. I felt like it was possibly missing something but at the same time it was very good, refreshing, and something completely different then what I’m used to eating. I felt satisfied without feeling greasy or over stuffed. This dish is vegan friendly; just make sure you check the ingredients on the pasta you buy.  Now let’s get started…


What you will need:


Your favorite Pasta, we use Penne 
4 tablespoons of Olive Oil
4-6 garlic cloves, we did 6-I love garlic
Little over a half of a lemon (I found a whole lemon was a bit over powering, but half not enough)
2 avocados
½ cup fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste (about 1tsp)

 

 

 

What to do:


Follow the pasta box instructions and get your water to a boil and start cooking your pasta.

While the pasta is cooking make your sauce by first cutting your lemon a little more then half. Use a strainer to then juice the larger half of the lemon into your belnder/processor to catch the pulp and seeds.




Add in the olive oil and garlic cloves into the blender/food processor. Blend until the mixture becomes well combine.





 Wash your fresh basil and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut off the stems and add to the blender/processor 





Peel then cut your avocado in half to get the pit out and add to the mixture in your blender/food processor along with the salt and pepper. Blend until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy.







By this time your pasta should be about ready to take off the heat and drain the water. Put pasta back into the pot on low heat. Add in your sauce and mix until well combine and hot.




I have read that the sauce doesn’t keep well due to the avocado so serve quickly.





Note: I also think this would be great as a cold summer pasta.  Once you take the pasta off the heat, drain water, then rinse pasta with cold water. Add your sauce and serve immediately. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. Let me know how this works for you and if you tried anything different. Enjoy and happy cooking!!!





1 comment:

  1. I make avocado pasta all the time! Indeed yummy! I'll need to try this reciepe!!

    ReplyDelete