Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Lets do this 2013

I've had a blog set up for years but for some reason I've done nothing with it. Something came over me and I've decided that 2013 will be my year of blogging. Short history: Slowly my boyfriend and I have changed the way we eat along with the way we live. I'm 5'9" and about 7years ago weight roughly 250+ pounds. According to online weight charts with my height and frame I should be somewhere around 139-153pounds. I don't exactly agree with charts and what others expect from you, only you can decide whats right for you but 250 pounds was not OK for me. I slowly stopped eating quick foods such as; bagel bites, burritos, chicken nuggets, fast food, sodas, sweets...you get it. Mainly items that you could microwave, pick up, or something that could be thrown into the oven with no other prep needed. We also moved out of a stressful environment and started to swim on occasion. We're not talking about Olympic lap swimming here, more like get into the water and hangout type of swimming. We would once in a while do a lap or two and see who was the quickest but mainly just got in, moved around, and hung out. This was a step up from eating baked foods and playing WOW on the computer all day. Slowly we added some mid day walks, easy nature hikes, and a bike ride here and there to the list. Nothing crazy, just some kind of movement during the week. We started to watch cooking shows, looking up recipes, and just started to cook together more often. Still, nothing too crazy and not extremely healthy but, A big step up from pizza and fast food. This then lead to more vegetables, whole grains, and low sugar fruits, along with more spurts of exercise here and there. Over the years we have slowly changed our eating habits and have now become Pescataians. A pescetarian diet shares many of its components with a vegetarian diet including vegetables, fruit, nuts, grains, beans, eggs, and dairy, but unlike a vegetarian diet also includes fish and shellfish. This decision came about almost a year ago after a friend of ours introduced a movie which got us curious. We then researched more into other documentaries, did our own research, and then made the switch. I will list some movies we have watched at the end of this post. Long story short I'm currently over 80pounds lighter and going strong. We feel a lot healthier, more active, and all in all much happier. I'm not saying this is the path for you, I just wanted to share my story and give a little history. I plan to use this blog to track my last 20 or so pounds that I plan to lose this year and our journey into new and fun food creations. I'm slowly trying to add in vegan options to our diet along with just healthier alternatives to what we currently eat as well. Looking forward to this adventure and I hope you are too! If you have any questions, comments, or helpful tips...I'm all ears! Happy New Years and lets do this 2013! Movies that changed our life: None of these movies are slaughter movies, the last two have a few very short clips of a farmer doing his work but nothing worse then I've seen on the news. I tend to close my eyes and wait for the images to go away in a few seconds. Lots of my friends have watched these movies and did not become vegetarian or vegan so that is not my intent. They just get you to think about where your food comes from, including non-meat items...enjoy! Most of these can be watched for free online using sites like Hulu. 1. Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead 2. The World According to Monsanto 3.Forks over knives 4.Food Inc. Here are photos from my largest point in life to 2012 photos. My goal is to look like I do now without the need to suck in and wear spanx ;-)

2 comments:

  1. you look amazing I am shocked at the difference didnt realize you were ever that big but I say the same thing to myself when I look at old pictures. Keep up the amazing work I know how hard it is but you are smokin hot and that hard work has totally paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another movie, that you probably have seen or know of is, Hungry For Change. We found it very interesting and enlightening about the average American diet. We also just downloaded Food Inc. (before I just read your recommendation) and I look forward to watching it!

    Your results are impressive and admirable! Good job (to both of you!).

    ReplyDelete